Painted by hand

Thursday 7 February 2013

Olivia Palermo in a handpainted skirt.  Image by habituallychic.com

There is something so unique and striking about handpainted fabrics for the home or the body.  This week we pay homage to this seasons style must-have by selecting a few inspiring garments and homewares that really showcase this trend.




Handpainted Maxi dresses are truly eye catching: above and below - images by ulugustarstyling.net and prettyportobello.blogspot.com




Who doesn't want to stand out in a crowd and in this day and age individuality is very much in-vogue.  As a lover of crafts and DIY I admire any and all things that have a real 'made with love' feel to them.







Bluebelle Gray creates amazing handpainted fabrics and pieces for the home.  How fresh and inviting is the couch covered in handpainted sunflowers! 


Below are just some handpicked and handpainted furnishings for the home that I hope will inspire your creative juices


Midnight Spirographs painting by Sarah Stockstill



Handpainted desk from Pottery Barn




Marimekko handpainted fabrics like Kotona (above) are great stretched over canvas as art or made into soft furnishings like cushions


I love a good feature wall.  No, not the 90s obsession where one wall in every room was a bright colour - yes Mum I remember when you broke out the burgundy!  I actually really love a wallpapered feature wall, what a great talking point.  




These handprinted wallpapers below and above are by one of my fave designers Porter Teleo, such a bold statement!




In fashion, there is a resurgence for hand-dipped/dyed and hand painted designs.  


Emma Stone pulls off a beautiful handpainted dress by Lanvin


Anne Hathaway wore a pink handpainted Valentino wedding dress recently on her wedding day

And just to show you how passionate I am about this handpainted trend I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my recent Sevens costume (remember the Chandeliers), well this year hubby and I did our best interpretation of Gotye and Kimbra which was inspired by their song Somebody That I used to know below 


The real Gotye and Kimbra


The pretend versions: Yours truly and my husband Joe 



By the way this lovely snap was captured by my homebecomesher compadre Mereana!

And there you have it, I hope you enjoyed my post and have been enlightened by the uniqueness and beauty of handpainted fabrics for the home and your wardrobe. If you're feeling creative and were about to throw out a perfectly good purse I have attached this 'totes amazing' tutorial on how to paint your way to a new one.  Enjoy! x  


To make a handpainted purse click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground